People can be classified into three categories. First, there are those who do not seek attention at all. Second, there are those who naturally attract attention but can live perfectly without it as well. And third, there are those who are in constant need of attention but rarely get it.
If you are happy without people paying attention to you, that’s fine. But if you constantly have to do crazy things just to get people to notice you, then that might not be such a good thing. What you want is for people to notice you without you making a fool of yourself. You can accomplish this by unleashing your creativity and naturally standing out from the crowd in a positive way.
There are people that are born creative. But for the rest of us, it’s not hopeless at all because creativity can be learned. According to studies, there are certain traits that creative people demonstrate and that you can try to follow as well in order to unleash your inner creativity.
- Frequently daydreaming. This actually boosts imagination and creative thinking.
- Highly observant. Being attentive to details is a sign of high intelligence and artistry.
- Have good timing. Ironically, creative people don’t always pay attention to time but they do have impeccable timing.
- Solitary. Creative people are not antisocial but they like spending a lot of alone time during which they can reflect, meditate and relax their minds.
- Optimistic. Positive thinkers are usually very creative as well. They do not get dissuaded by negative things or experiences. They merely turn these around into positive things and treat them as opportunities for growth.
- Can laugh at failure. An offshoot of being optimistic, creative people usually just laugh it off when they fail at something, then approach the task from a different angle until they succeed.
- Inquisitive. Asking questions means you are curious and want to know more. It also means that you do not simply accept everything that is told to you because you feel that there is more to things than what can be seen at face value.
- Risk taker. You can’t achieve success in life if you don’t take risks. The bigger the risk, the bigger the rewards that you can get.
- Do things differently. Just because a particular method for doing something had always worked doesn’t mean there isn’t a better way to do it. If you think out of the box and shake things up a bit, you might discover something new, and make your life much more interesting in the process.
If you are still not convinced that being creative can spell the difference between mediocrity and success, here are a few examples of people who have made it big primarily because they were creative, they persevered, and they did things differently.
Harry Potter author J K Rowling was rejected a dozen times before the first book was finally published. Basketball superstar Michael Jordan didn’t even get picked for his high school basketball team. Renowned composer Ludwig van Beethoven’s teachers had all but given up on him but his father recognized his talent and encouraged him to pursue his passion. Oprah Winfrey, the queen of talk, was just a poor, abused girl who had big dreams and is now one of the most influential persons in the world. The Flying Sikh, Milkha Singh, known as India’s fastest man, suffered terrible ordeals as a child – lost his parents and 8 siblings, three of which were killed in front of his eyes – but he kept going and now his name is written in history as one of the greatest athletes of all time.
As you can see from these examples, anyone can achieve great things if they set their minds to it. However, there is also a negative kind of creativity and attention-seeking that should be avoided because it will not lead to success. Some examples are people that resort to crime in order to attract attention, or those that would make themselves look ridiculous just to get people to look at them, or those that hurt themselves to get sympathy and finally, those that use nudity to attract attention.
If you want to get people to notice you and eventually achieve success, you have to stand out in a positive way. It may not happen overnight but with patience and dedication, you will eventually reach the goals that you have set for yourself.